Tunnels & Metros
Instrumentation used for the construction of tunnels and metros can be implemented in three stages; pre, during and post construction.
The data observed from the geotechnical and structural instrumentation plays a vital role in providing verification of design assumptions, ensuring safety throughout construction and monitoring long term behaviour.
As Metro and other types of utility tunnels are constructed in populated areas they can have major impacts on the surrounding area, buildings and other facilities within the predicted zone of influence. (see Asset monitoring). It can also provide timely warnings to take corrective action.
Monitoring requirements vary depending on the technique used to construct the tunnel (e.g. Tunnel Boring Machine, NATM, Jacking) and ground conditions.
Typical Instruments Used For Application
- Inclinometer Casing QJ
- Inclinometer Casing XC
- Portable MEMS Inclinometer
- In-place Inclinometer (IPI)
- VW Piezometer VWP-3000 series
- Borehole Rod Extensometer Geo-XB2 Series
- Magnetic Extensometer GXM Range
- Reed Switch Probe
- Sister Bar Rebar Strain Meter VWS-4000
- Load Cell for Tunnel Linings and Struts
- VW Load Cell VWLC-5050